Tuesday 24 June 2014

If I Were A Carpenter

"If I Were A Carpenter"...ever heard that song?

This past Sunday was our farewell service at Church and a lady from church changed the lyrics to that song and sort of sang the song for us (she read it out with the instrumental music playing in the background..so it was actually almost a rap, haha..) Anyway, it was pretty special! It just reminded me of how much my/our lives have changed since living here.
She gave me a copy of her lyrics and I just thought I'd share them with you guys.


If I Were A Carpenter

If I were a student
And you a corn lady
Would you go out with me anyway?
Would you help me study?

If you were a student
And I a corn lady
I'd go out with you anyway
I'd help you study

If a preacher was my trade
Would you still find me?
I'd be eating the pies you made
Slippin' to MacGregor for you to see

Savin' up for rings and things
Savin' for tomorrow
Givin' up my loneliness
Givin' you all my tomorrows

If I were a youth leader
And teens to be mindin'
Would you help me clean the mess
And leave the place a shinin'?

If you were a youth leader
At the drop-in mindin'
I'd not miss it for anythin'
I'd help you keep the place a shinin'

Savin' kids was on our minds
Savin' them from sorrow
We gave them love and kindness
Sowing seeds for tomorrow

If I worked my hands in antler
Would you help me find them?
You answered me, "Yes I would!"
And you tramped the hills and woods

Now I'll be a carpenter
We'll have to move maybe
But you married me anyway
We've had our baby

Movin' on is on our minds
To a house in Herbert we go
A new life we hope to find
Letting God plan our tomorrow


Here is a link to the "real song"

If I were a Carpenter-Johnny Cash & June Carter


5 comments:

  1. Creative and pretty cute. I remember the original well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty special and funny at the same time! You've obviously been a blessing to the church while you've been there! You will be missed I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, we will miss them too, such a supportive Church!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...how sweet is that!? I love that you started a blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I enjoy reading yours as well!

      Delete